12:15 AM

De la Red to sit out next season

Posted by the phenomenon


Real Madrid midfielder Ruben de la Red is hopeful his footballing career is just on hold rather than over.

The Spain international has not played for Madrid since collapsing during a Copy del Rey tie against Real Union in October, and he has undergone numerous medical tests since then to try and determine what the cause of the problem was.

Those tests are still ongoing and as such De la Red will not be able play for Madrid until all doubts about his health are cleared up.

The 24-year-old, who met with Madrid general director Jorge Valdano and club medical staff yesterday, confirmed that means he is unlikely to play next season, saying in Marca: "Yes, that's the decision that has been taken.

"I have 100% trust in everything they (the medical staff) decide and I'm grateful for what they're doing for me."

When asked what the problem was and why he has to wait longer to return to playing, De la Red added: "There isn't a name for what what I have. Right now there's no concrete answer.

"It's not a definite 'no', a 'you're never going to play', but neither is it a 'you are going to be able to play'."

However, the Euro 2008 winner is hoping he will be able to play again, saying with a smile: "I hope so."

He added: "It'd be great to be there, above all with the arrivals of Kaka, Cristiano..."

As for what he will do whilst his playing career remains in limbo, De la Red said: "Jorge has told me that the club are at my disposal, that they are there for anything I need. He has even mentioned the possibility of working for the club in some way.

"There is no concrete date to return to talk about. Now I'm only thinking of my wedding, of going to the beach to rest and that's it."

0 comments:

Post a Comment